Bodie Island Light Station
Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Client: National Park Service
Scope of Services: Historic Structure Report
Construction of the Bodie Island Light Station and Keepers’ Quarters was completed in 1872. Lightkeepers lived on this isolated island to keep the beacon lit, carrying oil up the spiral stairs twice daily. Located on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the lighthouse was automated in 1940. The site is now administered by the National Park Service.
The Keeper’s Quarters was extensively remodeled in the 1970s to provide Park Service offices on the second floor and an interpretive center and gift shop on the first floor. JKOA prepared an Historic Structure Report to document the Keeper’s Quarters and the array of early outbuildings, trace their evolution and assess conditions. The HSR also outlined modifications to restore the Quarters to serve current functions while accurately reflecting its early historic appearance.