Client: Perryville Enhancement Project
Scope of Services: New Buildings to House Visitor Services and Elevator; New Dry-laid Stone Walls
Both the battlefield just to the north and the community of Perryville, Kentucky, remain much as they appeared on the day of the Battle of Perryville in 1862. The Johnson House, a two-story frame and weatherboard residence on the main commercial street, was one of Perryville’s buildings damaged in the bombardment.
The Johnson House property, at the edge of the commercial district, was selected to be the community’s visitor center. JKOA developed plans to place administrative offices, research rooms and interpretive exhibits in the house. New outbuildings and site features were designed to handle some of the visitor center needs. Given the rural character and rolling terrain of the community with its widely spaced buildings and site features clearly visible, traditional mid-nineteenth century designs typical of the region were chosen for the new structures. One outbuilding, to contain both the public restrooms and the refreshment vending machines, mimics a barn design typical in the community. Another, designed to house a small elevator for the steep change in site grade, is based on a typical service building. Also designed for the site are traditional dry-laid stone walls, a craft JKOA reintroduced to the region with the help of Scottish stone masons.